Sunday, May 13, 2012

Yoga promptes a healthy body

It has been my experience, that when I do one thing that is good for my heath, it often leads to other healthy choices. For example, my yoga practice helps me make other healthy choices. After spending the time improving the health of my body and mind through my yoga practice, I find that I do not want to eat food that are unhealthy or partake in behaviors that induce stress.  Aside from relieving stress and quieting my mind, yoga promotes many other health benefits. It improves respiration, blood flow, aids digestion, builds muscles, facilitates flexibility, and improves sleep.

Yoga improves respiration by oxygenation of the body and brain, using filtered nasal inhalations to improve respiratory cycles, and cleanses the lungs.

Knee-to-chest posture puts pressure on the abdomen and the internal organs squeeze out residual blood and allow new blood to circulate into the organs. A sequence of knee-to-chest postures put light pressure that aids in digestion, as well.

Weight bearing postures build muscle strength while lengthening postures facilitate flexibility of movement. Bilateral use is automatic throughout the protocol, and range of motion is accomplished. A low-tone body builds strength and a high-tone body stretches and relaxes.

The calming effects of yoga improve sleep patterns. An ability to release stress and restlessness is developed along with less interruptions in sleep. This improves the quantity and quality of sleep, which supports improved function in all areas of life. 

Yoga's positive language and affirmations help support an overall feeling of well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment